- This event has passed.
Patchwork Quilting : Randwick
29 February, 2016 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Create a family heirloom as you make a beautifully crafted sampler quilt. Learn about colour and design, piecing, applique, drafting and how to assemble and finish your quilt. By the end of the course you will have a small finished quilt top and have learnt techniques for machine or hand quilting.
Materials required for the first night
- 1 metre each of 100% cotton quilting fabric: 2 solid colours, 1 small print and 1 medium print. Purchase the best quality fabric you can afford.
- fine sewing needles
- pins (fine glass head pins are best)
- 100% cotton thread in a neutral colour
- fabric scissors
- paper scissors
- pencils and pens
Quilts last many years, work with fabric that makes you happy or suits your decor. There are many specialised quilt fabric stores, you can buy fabric online or at Spotlight, Lincraft etc.
To begin with you will need a minimum of 4 different fabrics: chose a medium sized print that you like, select two plain colours that coordinate with it and a smaller complementary print.
By the end of the course participants should have:
- gained a knowledge of patchwork and quilting equipment and materials
- learned how to use hand or machine piece a variety of patchwork blocks
- learned how to use a rotary cutter safely
- gained an understanding of quilting terminology
- learned how to construct quilt layers, machine or hand quilting, binding and labels
- gained confidence in using a variety of print and coloured materials
- gained an understanding of quick and paper piecing techniques