Recipe type: Vegetarian
A vegetarian version of the perennial family favourite! Save lots of time by chopping all the vegetables in your food processor. Cook lentils from scratch for better flavour. Tinned lentils are ok at a pinch.
- 4 cups cooked lentils
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Carrots, grated
- 1 Capsicum, finely chopped
- 2 Celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 Zucchini, grated
- 400gm Pumpkin grated (optional)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Oregano/ mixed herbs
- 1 tin Tomatoes, pureed
- 4 tablespoons Tomato puree
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 6 Potatoes, peeled, boiled in salted water and mashed
- Butter + milk for mashed potatoes (optional)
- Drain the lentils well.
- Gently fry the onion, garlic, carrot, celery and capsicum in olive oil till softened.
- Add the herbs, zucchini and pumpkin; cook a further 5 mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, tomato puree and stir through.
- Add drained lentils and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season well and spoon into oven dish.
- Top with an even layer of mashed potato.
- Bake at 180C for 30mins till top is golden.