Apple, Pecan and Bourbon Caramel Cake
Recipe type: Cake
It's healthy... it has fruit. and nuts!!
- 150 grams butter, softened
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- ½ cup milk
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 50 grams butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup Bourbon
- Cream butter, caster sugar and vanilla essence with a stand mixer or electric beaters.
- Add in 3 eggs, self raising flour, salt and milk. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes till smooth and light.
- Spread cake batter into a greased springform pan/ cake tin with removable bottom.
- Arrange sliced apples over the top and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
- Bake at 180C/ 350F for 40 minutes till cake is cooked through and golden.
- Meanwhile, make caramel by simmering 50 grams butter, ½ cup brown sugar and ⅓ cup Bourbon till thickened. If you don’t have bourbon use scotch with a little maple syrup and vanilla to flavour it. Or leave it out but call it something else! You know the alcohol cooks out so no need to worry about getting tipsy?
- Anyway, when cake has cooled for 10 minutes, pour over warm caramel and let it sit till completely cool before serving.
- Or serve cake warm, with ice cream and hot caramel. Yum!
Yum! Can’t wait to try this! BEAUTIFUL blog, Lorena! 🙂 xxx