Broccoli and Cannellini Bean Fritters
Take advantage of delicious in season broccoli with this tasty recipe.
- 1 medium size head of broccoli
- 1 tin cannellini beans, drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup milk
- cracked black pepper
- oil for shallow frying
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil.
- Chop broccoli florets into medium size pieces, any stems and thicker stalks should be chopped finely so it all cooks at the same time. Toss it into the boiling water, cook uncovered.
- Whilst that's cooking, make batter by mixing the remaining ingredients. Season well.
- When broccoli is soft but still bright green (pierce a thick stem with a knife to check it's soft) remove from heat, drain and crush with a potato masher.
- Add in cannellini beans and mix well.
- Add the broccoli and beans to the batter.
- Heat enough oil to cover your frypan and fry large tablespoons of the mixture till browned, flip and cook the other side.
- Continue to cook in batches, keeping the fritters warm till ready to serve.
- Serve with a zesty salad.
- *VEGAN OPTIONS*
- Replace self raising flour and egg with chick pea flour (besan) and ½ teaspoon baking powder. Besan flour can be a little bitter. Add in extra herbs and spices if this taste is not to your liking.
- Replace milk with your preferred milk substitute: eg soy, almond or oat milk.
- Replace parmesan cheese with a vegan alternative or almond meal for extra protein but it's not entirely necessary for the recipe. You may want to add extra herbs for a flavour boost, like chopped parsley, spring onions or coriander. Spices like cumin, chilli and paprika will also boost the flavour.